KBK Enterprises has been selected as the developer of the historic Larimer School. The school located at 540 Larimer Avenue is owned by Fishers of Men who will also be a partner in the project. The plan for the existing building is to convert it into 36 units of affordable housing along with community service space totaling nearly $14 million. The school was built in 1896, an addition was made in 1904, and the auditorium and gymnasium were added in 1931.
The school is listed on the National Register of Historic places. The interior includes terrazzo floors with marble wainscoting. The exterior includes an ornately decorated door on the southwestern side of the building with statues on pillars, a bas-relief sculpture over the door, and human faces near a marble portion of the roof. The public school closed in June 1980 and has been empty since that time. The building was later purchased in 2000, in hopes of creating a community center and day care on the premises. Unfortunately not enough money was raised for the $8 million renovation; therefore it was sold in 2005 to local developer Emmett Miles.